Sunday

Rocky Mountain High

I am back in my hometown of Colorado Springs after living for 6 years in Fujiyoshida Japan. It's been one month, to the day, since I left Japan. I miss my friends and the activity of Fujiyoshida, but I am at Peace here in Colorado, and I am busy reflecting on my experiences, and drawing strength and plans for the future.

Leaving Fujiyoshida after 6 years was not a small task. I became very comfortable in my little apartment in the Kotobuki Danchi. Moving out, literally took me an extra month, just to pack my things, and throw out, or give away or sell the things I didn't need or couldn't keep. It also took extra time to say goodbye to everyone. My biggest going away party, which was a Taiko Concert and Karate exhibition over one hour long, in which I participated in every song and event, and the following dinner party afterwards, brought over 80 of my friends from City Hall, the Board of Education, and the greater Fujiyoshida area. An article about the party was published in the next day's Sannichi Newspaper, a Yamanashi Prefecture Paper, congratulating me for 6 years of work.

Newspaper clipping from Sannichi Shinbun (Newspaper) June 28, 2009

Saying my final goodbyes to my apartment, to everyone at City Hall, and to Mt. Fuji was a tearful event, that I barely made it through. I gave myself good time that morning to feel all my emotions so that afterwards I would be able to do my best to say my goodbyes and leave smoothly.

Saying goodbye to Mt. Fuji was the most difficult. The volcano came to represent my life in Japan. She watched over me every day. From crystal clear mornings, through cloudy afternoons, to snow covered winters. Mt Fuji was there to listen to my happiness, my anger, my sorrow, and my daily struggles and success, always peacefully. As I left the city, she was peeking out from a low layer of clouds; hesitant to say goodbye.

Mt. Fuji from my apt. at Kotobuki Danchi the day of departure August 28th, 2009

Life goes on...that's the problem. It's easy to forget past success and happiness. We must be vigilant to remember who we are.

Colorado is a beautiful place. The air is dry here, and land stretches as far as the eye can see. I am greeted by my family. My mom, step-father, sister in-law, my dad, my step-mother, and my sister and two nephews. I am greeted by old friends from school, former bosses, college professors, and friends of Fujiyoshida. My roots are all around, every day, and as I drive through town I remember dreams of Colorado Springs, which I had while I was in Fujiyoshida. The skies are bright blue, and the mountains are green.


Pikes Peak at sunset. At home in Colorado Springs.

Now is a time of retreat for me; out of the light of public work and the many friendships that had me at many times overextended, but very much helped me to grow. I am in decline, for the purpose of reflection on the last 30 years of my life. This is how I recharge; I am an Introvert. I get my energy from quiet reflection and contemplation. Living in Fujiyoshida had more meaning than just a job; it had as much meaning as I gave to it as part of my life.




The kittens Raja and Simba at Ahbo's house in Salida, CO

America is a very, very young country, but we have great traditions of skepticism for our government, and the ability to make change happen, when the people want it. The problem is, as any American, or person who has ever visited America knows, is that there are many stupid people here...people who are simply running on ego. People who are materialistic, greedy, and just plain uneducated and ignorant. They too have a vote, and a say on how we live, whether they know it or not. There are many problems with America, but here it is in my most simple terms:

Americans don't respect our roots, and what our ancestors escaped from; old oppressive systems that didn't work from them any more. To them, the ability to start fresh and new was "freedom." It was the freedom to combine old methods that did work, with new methods, and to build a better country. Many countries around the world, such as Japan, have great systems that work. Systems that they have built out of many years of history and experience. For example, a good health-care system. Americans need to learn and build on the systems and methods of the rest of the world that do work, and combine it with our sense of innovation and revolution. If we do that, I believe we will create a country that is truly the land of the free.


The view of Mt. Ouray from Salida.

However...

Americans rarely look outside of our own fat culture. We take natural resources for granted. We take our friends and neighbors for granted. We have no idea how rich we are compared to the rest of the world. We are free to educate ourselves and be successful, but many still believe that a good life is their privilege; something that will be given to them without having to work for it.

Give and take, has become take and take.

People grow increasingly more unhealthy, ignorant, and uncapable, then blame it on their government. They should be thrown into correctional facilities until they can grow up. OR at least be denied the right to vote until they can demonstrate a certain amount of common sense.

Will we succeed in failure or success?

The American industrial machine has produced generations of greed, and this is what I see as I come back to my home in America. I see urban sprawl while the inner city crumbles. People are too busy, and are on the brink of forgetting their true nature.


Looking at Wilkerson Pass from South Park during the first snow of the year. September 20th, 2009.

I have not forgotten. I remember the peace that comes from being in the mountains; in nature, and I wish that everyone could know it.

2 Comments:

Blogger yascow said...

Thanks for the email!
I will let the people of
Team Andy about your blog!

As I was reading your blog,
I remembered how I felt when
I left Wisconsin for good.
It was very mixed feelings.
I was very glad that I finally
could eat Yakitori when I came back to Japan, but I was so sad that I couldn't talk with my host family and friends in the U.S.


Robin willingly agreed on coming to English conversation cafe at Matsuya, and a few more will come from next time. Thank you again for helping me start this meetings.

安土龍印鑑は、もう少しお待ちくださいね。
出来上がり次第送るので、楽しみに待って手ね~!!

Yascow

10:51 PM  
Blogger Daryl-Hunter said...

Interesting to see your take upon your return :D

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home