Tuesday

In the Arms of Mt. Fuji

I have been living in Fujiyoshida since August 2003. Coming to Fujiyoshida turned my world upside down, call it culture shock, whatever, give it a name. But because I had lived in Tokyo for a year of college, I was inspired and have been working to create experiences that will lead me away from this practically dead-end but unique job when it ends in another year and a half. Let me elaborate. The JET program receives their participants and guides them the whole way, which readily blurs the line between work and life. I would not have chosen this job were it not for my previously earned knowledge of Japan, because I am able to live by my own means and have a unique perspective. Much of my job is describing my life(in simple English). Thus I am in a constant mode of adjustment. I can adapt to anything, even raw crab brain and the harsh mood swings of early to mid pubescent teens. My job, my life is communication.

I have help. I have good friends right around me. Jason, Jun, Jaime, and Paul to name the Americans. The list continues with my Japanese friends Masa, 35, used car dealer. Atsutomo, 24, DJ. A host of other JETs in or close to Fujiyoshida; Linda, Wayne, Taiisa, Marshall, Steve, Serena, Michelle, and even some in Kofu, Adrienne, Kayla, Jana. I practice Kyokushin Karate, which more or less regulates my pace of life. The style is traditional. It is direct, strong, and square. At practice we sit in formal seiza style. we should not drink water in the middle of a two hour practice, we are not allowed to say "hai" (yes) to superiors, we must say "osu." To round off the squareness of karate I have taiko. Making music with heavy cedar sticks on rawhide Japanese drums has become an addiction. When I can't go to practice I have some phone books to practice with at home. The members from Karate and Taiko connect me to Fujiyoshida in ways that the people from my job can not.


(In Tokyo partying with friends before Paul's (center/back, red shirt) wedding in June 2004)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home